Clay Aiken and Assorted Hobbies

Friday, May 19, 2006

Road to Baja 500




It’s probably a good thing for me that Clay Aiken does not have his new album out yet & therefore no new tour to spend money on. Last summer was my turn to spend a ton on concerts, travel, & spending time with Clay buddies. This summer is my hubby’s turn to spend a ton on off road motorcycle racing.

He is an avid off road motorcycle racer. He raced motocross in his youth but gave up the sport in his early adult years. He bought a dirt bike in his 30’s & a racing bike for his 40th birthday. He’s been racing in hare scrambles & enduros for the last 8 years. Hare Scrambles are races over a track laid out in the woods. All the cyclists start at the same time and ride several laps around the track. They tend to be shorter races than enduros. Enduros are much longer races through a track laid out in the woods. The riders have differing start times & have several checkpoints through the course. They can lose points for arriving too early or too late at any checkpoint. Enduros are on a course that is usually about 60 miles & can take around 3 hours. They are run through very tight trails & are extremely challenging.

This year my hubby is riding in the Baja 500. It’s a 500 mile race throughout Baja California, Mexico. He & a buddy (he met on the internet) will be driving from the east coast to Baja the last week of May. The race takes place on June 3rd and they will be driving back on June 4th. This race is grueling as it is a continuous 500 miles but through some of the most incredible terrain imaginable.
He's been rebuilding his motorcycle since it was severely damaged when our sons rolled our truck with the bike on a lift. He actually tore the bike apart completely but it is back better than new, well almost.



My hubby is currently in China on a business trip. We have had a steady delivery of motorcycle parts & gear. You almost can’t walk through the garage for all the stuff he’s bought for this trip. I can't wait to see his face when he goes through all the stuff that has arrived. He'll be like a kid in a candy store. This trip really is an opportunity of a lifetime. I’m almost as excited for him as he is.

He has told me that he supported my Clay hobby because of all the years I’ve supported his dirt bike hobby. I actually got the sweetest Mother’s Day present this year. He went on the internet & searched for something Clay related. He ended up getting 2 AI2 Coke Bottles. I have always been a collector but I never bought the coke bottles. He is not usually a great gift giver. Not that he doesn’t care, because he is wonderful to me & our family every day; he just doesn’t really think about gifts. The gift this year shows me how much he appreciates my support of his racing.

I am a bit nervous about this race but I trust him to know his limits. I can’t wait for the stories he will have to share with me.

Technorati tags:





4 Comments:

  • Wow - sounds exciting. Good luck to your husband!

    By Blogger The ConCLAYve-Nan, at 11:09 AM  

  • Hee...my dh supports my Clay hobby because of all the years I put up with him being a musician and purchasing numerous guitars, amps, and sound boards.

    By Blogger feelingthejoy, at 10:18 PM  

  • I think I need to hide this from my own hubby. He's been very supportive of my Clay hobby, and even posts himself about Clay. However, you make YOUR hubby's hobby sound so interesting I'm afraid mine will want to take it up!!! Great job.

    By Blogger Peggy Walker, at 10:37 PM  

  • I hope your husband has a great time in Baja. I appreciated reading about you guys mutual support of one another's "hobbies."

    By Blogger Ressa (ressamac on Twitter), at 12:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home